Are you looking for ways to reduce eye strain?
Limiting your screen time is important when you are living in the world of virtuality.
It is very easy to have access to everything digital, including entertainment, banking, learning, and so many other things.
That’s why we spend more time on our screens than we did before. However, it has adverse effects on our health as well. Life is pretty “eye-ronic” because it gives you the pros and cons of everything you do.
In amidst all these, eLearning has become an increasingly popular way of learning things. Almost every learner can learn everything under the sun with Elearning.
From kids to adults and even old people are using LMS (Learning Management System) in their day-to-day lives without them knowing. To make learning simple for their students and employees, companies and universities use learning management systems such as Blackboard, Canvas, UKG by Kronos, TalentLMS, and others.
So, it has become an essential tool in our lives. But to make sure it doesn’t harm us with its side effects, we need to understand the problems and how we can avoid/ solve them.
Let’s explore ways to reduce eye strain.
Why Do You Need Ways to Reduce Eye Strain?
- Eyestrain: Continuously viewing any digital screen can cause your eyes to strain. As you use a digital screen for longer periods, your eyes will become fatigued. As a result, the ciliary muscles and the extraocular muscles in your eyes get damaged. You can use warm or cold water to relax the muscles and to comfort your eyes. Dip cotton balls or cloths in water, soak them and place them on your closed eyes for a few minutes.
- Headaches: Longer screen time affects the nerves that are connected to our brain. The light makes our eyes more sensitive and creates pressure behind our eyes. This can trigger headaches. You can deal with a headache by applying a warm compress, massaging your head, neck, and eyes, or taking painkillers.
- Blurred vision: One of the most delicate parts of the body is the eye. Blurry vision occurs when the cells around your eyes are stressed. It can also cause watery eyes that lead to blurry vision. Give your eyes some rest, and they will recover from this effect. Taking breaks from your screen time and keeping your eyes closed can also help to cure blurry vision.
- Dry eyes: The itchy feeling in your eye or little pain are the results of dry eyes. Lubricating your eyes with the help of a humidifier can help. Or you can also use eye drops.
- Neck and shoulder pain: Too much screen time means sitting for long periods. If you are not sitting with the correct posture, you can feel neck and shoulder pain. Having a shoulder massage, lying on a flat surface, and painkillers can help to ease your pain. It is important that you maintain the correct posture while sitting in order to avoid such situations.
Effective Ways to Reduce Eye Strain
- Have The Right Set-up: The screen should be 4 or 5 inches below your eye level. Distance between the screen and your eyes must be 40 cm or more. You should sit on a chair with your back straight. This is the right setup one must follow to avoid back or neck problems.
- Blue Light: Using blue light glasses can help reduce exposure to your eyes. Using blue light glasses can help reduce exposure to your eyes or contact lenses found at https://www.contactlenses.co.uk. You can also use night mode or reading mode that will automatically adjust the screen lights. Apply dark mode at night, this will limit the brightness of the screen. Let’s go over more ways to reduce eye strain.
- Taking Breaks: If you cannot reduce your screen time because of study or work, you can take breaks in between. Take a break after every 30 minutes and look away from the screen for 30 seconds. This gives your eyes some time to relieve stress.
- Getting Outdoors: When you are not on your digital screen, take a walk or go outdoors and let your eyes get some natural light and air. You can also schedule to take a day off from any screens. This is an effective way to protect your eyes from long screen time.
Summing-up: Ways to Reduce Eye Strain
Add certain practices to your life if you cannot change your lifestyle. We all understand the importance of the use of digital devices in our daily lives. And it can be quite difficult to exclude it completely, but we can reduce its effects by addressing the primary problems.
Readers, please share so online learners discover ways to reduce eye strain.
I look forward to your views in the comments section. Can you recommend additional ways to reduce eye strain?
This post was contributed by Eada Hughes and made possible by the support of our readers.