Are you familiar with revenue sharing sites like Virily?
If you are interested in making money online, you should be.
I asked my blogging friend Debby if she had heard that the unthinkable happened:
Niume stopped paying its writers for page views. Update: July 2020: Niume folded.
She indicated she had heard and then wrote two words which haunted me: “Now what?”
This post will answer that question.
One of the advantages of using social media is the ability to make money.
Niume was not the only revenue sharing site in town!
This post will describe Virily, explain how you can be paid for your writing at that website, and then offer six more revenue sharing sites where you can make money writing.
I surely would love to be able to earn money online. Looking through your suggestions, it seems that most of them really boils down to traffic. Any suggestions for that?
My suggestion is to publish at Virily. Writing at Virily has nothing to do with your blog traffic. It isn’t even necessarily related to the traffic to your Virily articles since you can accrue money in other ways at the site.
What is Virily?
Virily is a blogging platform that lets you express your writing skills and creativity in just a few steps and at the same time earn some money. It is a blogging platform with an aim to allow people all over the globe to work and earn money by working on the Internet. According to YouTube, you can earn money starting your first day using the site!
The money you make is called “virils.” With every action you make on Virily, whether it be writing content, voting, commenting, or reading, for example, you gain virils that will be paid to you at the end of the month.
Virility is a relatively new website. The platform only recently opened its doors in May of 2017. Some of its programs are still in beta. The site currently has over 800 users.
Virily’s offices are located in Estonia and Macedonia.
What is a Revenue Sharing Site?
Virily practices revenue sharing. A revenue sharing site invites writers to create content for a website in exchange for a share of its advertising revenue giving the authors the possibility of ongoing income. You will see these ads when you go to Virily.
How Virily Works
There are 20 categories on the site that cover different interests and all age groups. The purpose of the site is to allow “an easy blogging experience,” according to the Virily admins.
No technical skills are needed to publish on the platform.
Does the content you publish on Virily have to be original?
In contrast to the soon-to-be-defunct Niume, the answer is yes. You must publish original content.
How you earn virils and get paid:
- Earn 10 virils when you refer a friend to the site.
- The first time you visit a website on Virility each day, earn 10 virils.
- Earn 3 virils each time a member of Virility views your post.
- Earn 2 virils for submitting an item.
- Earn 2 virils for viewing a quiz.
- Earn 2 virils when another member follows you.
- Earn 1 viril when you view someone else’s post.
- Earn 1 viril when you comment on a post.
If you read someone’s post, you will get one viril. The author will get three.
If you view a quiz, you will get three virils, the author will get five.
You will get 2 virils for submitting an item. If you submit an item with a picture, you will get 20 virils.
- You can only read up to 50 articles per day.
- You can only refer 500 friends a day maximum.
- You can only earn a maximum of 500 virils a day when people view your posts.
- Drafts older than 30 days old will be deleted.
- The lengths of your posts are limited to approximately 7,000 words.
How you get paid:
It takes 1,000 virils to accumulate to $1.00.
This may seem like a lot for a little. Virily is more than a Pay Per View site. It is a pay per activity site. You decide how many activities you want to do. This makes Virility a revenue sharing site, not just pay-per-view.
According to Virily member Rex Trulove, the payouts are not this cut and dry. “It is variable, depending on the market. As put in their FAQ’s: Higher Virils Balance means higher share from revenue distributed among users. Distribution is made on daily basis, so depending on the day you can earn different amount for the same Virily Balance.”
Also, the minimum length of a story post is only approximately 100 words. Therefore, it doesn’t take much to be active there and start earning virils.
After only 24 hours, I’d already accumulated 138 virils.
You decide your payment method. Virily uses Pay Pal or Payoneer. The minimum payout on Pay Pal is $10.00. The minimum payout on Payoneer is $100.00. Virily pays monthly.
How to Use Virily
1. Go to https://virily.com and click “Join.” You’ll be given a choice to sign up with Facebook or Twitter. I chose Twitter.
2. Fill in your email address. Click “Continue.”
3. To create an item, click “Create.”
You can create the following: story, personality quiz, trivia quiz, open list where others can submit items to your list, ranked list where people can vote for the best item on the list or classic list which is a list-based article.
Although I usually write list posts, I wanted to write about my enthusiasm over finding this site my first time using Virily, so I clicked “story.” I enjoyed myself so much I have not written any other type of content since joining the site.
When you use Virily, you must write content that fits one of the many categories on the website.
Your category choices include:
- food & drink
- home decor
- other for content that doesn’t fit these categories
Why You Should Join
- Use Virily to generate traffic. Since you are able to insert links to your blog post articles, you can use Virily to generate traffic to your blog or website. I have already seen traffic coming from Virily on my WordPress dashboard.
- You can give and receive compliments. You can send compliments to other writers and receive compliments from them.
- Virily has a “Featured” section. If you are featured, you will get even more exposure from this site.
- Virily has a newsletter and you may find new bloggers to read.
- Your writing will be exposed to a new audience of readers.
- You can make some extra cash.
- It’s easy to monetize on Virily. A Facebook group exists to help you get page views on each other’s posts so you can rack up the virils. Other Facebook groups exist as well to help you. The Virily Users Group exists as well to provide support for other Virilyans. However, this group requires you have 10 posts at Virily before they’ll admit you.
Making money on Virily is quick and easy. The moment I logged in for the first time, I already had 22 virils. You may wonder how this is possible. Do you remember? I received 10 virils for becoming a member, 10 for visiting a site, and I had a new follower which earned me 2.
- Virily has an affiliate program. Become an affiliate of Virily and offer people your referral link. You will find this under Profile/Affiliate Link. My affiliate link is https://virily.com/?mref=1384.
- Being a Virilyan increases your self-esteem. Within two days I was elevated from the status of newbie to the status of rising star.
- Virily has interesting content. You might want to use this content as research for your blog posts.
- You can give your input by upvoting or downvoting.
- Thanks to the tags, it’s easy for people to find you.
- The other Virilyans are extremely warm and welcoming. They have even been connecting with me on other websites. They have followed me to my blog and connected with me on Twitter.
- Your articles will get more social shares. For example, Facebook groups often require social sharing. If someone has a choice between sharing your post from Virily and someone else’s post, they will choose your post in order to accrue virils toward monetization.
- You don’t have to worry about SEO when you blog at another website.
- Blogger Ryan Biddulph recommends you practice writing 1,000 words a day. Why not practice at Virily? You’ll have a chance to make some friends, perhaps gain some new blog readers, and make some cash.
- If you write at Virily, you don’t need to stick to your niche. Deviating from your niche on your blog may confuse your blog readers. At Virily, you can write about whatever topics you want.
- You don’t need to stick to an editorial calendar either. Publish whenever the mood strikes you.
- Virily is easy to use.
This is your dashboard. Notice: I didn’t want to forget to put in my PayPal information so I could get paid as soon as I accrued $10.00.
“Profile” is where you’d go to put in this information and change your profile picture. Since I signed up with Twitter, my profile picture is the one I use on Twitter.
Can you also see I already have a follower? [Note: I have been using Virility for four days. I am up to 26 followers at the time of this writing.]
- Getting help with Virily is easy. If you need help, Virily has an FAQ link and a forum. They also have a chatbot who can answer questions. I also received a prompt response via messenger from an admin of the site when I had a question.
- Virily is a beautiful site. Look:
I typed “blogging” into the search bar since that’s my niche.
Notice: The number of page views is visible so you will know which articles are more appealing to readers. The number of comments is visible as well so you can know which articles are gaining the most engagement.
I am interested in hosting a webinar on my blog one day, so I clicked that headline.
Immediately, a sign appeared on the screen informing me I’d earned a viril!
- Using Virily is fun. Within 24 hours of using the site, I had 60 notifications, a compliment, and someone upvoted my post. I had 149 notifications within two days of using the site. Virilyans are an engaged group!
- If you use Chrome, Grammarly will work so you’ll have an editor.
Several Virilyans weighed in on the merit of the website:
According to Virily user Kyla Osborne, “It took very little effort to go from “Newbie” to “Sky Rocket” and to make it onto the leaderboard. The site has no minimum word count and articles are clearing now for me in under an hour sometimes. I’m enjoying the experience.”
According to Jotomy, Virily is “a great platform for the writers.”
Virily user Running the Galaxies welcomed me when I joined. “I have been here for three days and I enjoy it very much and I don’t even think about the money it might bring. There’s a bunch of people that are nice and comforting.”
Ali Shehzad echoed Running’s sentiments. “A superb platform to be a part and parcel of. An adorable community, friendly bunch of people.
Other Revenue Sharing Sites
- Daily Two Cents UPDATE: Daily Two Cents announced the site was closing its doors in August 2018.
- Verst [Read: How to Boost Your Brand and Business with Verst]
The holidays are coming up. Do you need some extra shopping money? Perhaps you need money to pay your website host for the month. Virily is for you!
With Virily, you are in control over how soon you get paid and how much since you control the activities you get virils (points) for completing.
I encourage you to sign up for Virily.
You might make some money, meet new writers, find interesting articles to read and use as research for your posts. In addition, you could get traffic to your blog due to the links to your blog you’re allowed to put in.
If you do decide to sign up, please use my referral link:
Readers, please share so other bloggers know how they can monetize with Virily.
I look forward to your answers in the comments section: Have you heard of this site that pays its contributors? If so, would you recommend Virily?
After not being on Virily for a very long time, I saw traffic from Virily in my WordPress dashboard stats.
It’s true: You can use Virily for traffic generation even years after becoming inactive on the site.
My post comparing Virily with other revenue-sharing sites is one of my most popular articles on Google.
Update: July 2020
According to SiteJabber.com, Virily received an average of 3 out of 5 stars when reviewed. The Site Jabber author took that to mean people are generally dissatisfied with Virily.
According to the blog, Virily ranks 57th out of social networking sites.
UPDATES: August 2020
This review wouldn’t be accurate without sharing both positive and negative aspects of using the website.
Let me explain why I have steered away from using Virily in recent years:
After spending untold hours trying to make money on Virily, my friend who used Virily wrote to me to tell me my efforts might be for nothing.
She explained people on Virily aren’t bloggers like me. Therefore, they have more time to devote to activities on the site that might generate them income.
She also explained there was a tier, like a top list of users that stood a greater chance of monetizing.
I’ve barely been back since.
Also, while people are genuinely making money on Virily, monetization growth seems slow. Waiting just for a $10 payout took so long; that was one of the reasons I gave up.
However, you should try the site and see what you think. Depending on your time allowance, you may have time I didn’t have to pursue getting to know the community and trying to monetize.
Janice Wald is the founder of MostlyBlogging.com. She is an ebook author, blogger, blogging coach, blogging judge, freelance writer, and speaker. She was nominated as the 2021 and 2019 Best Internet Marketer by the Infinity Blog Awards and in 2017 as the Most Informative Blogger by the London Bloggers Bash. She’s been featured on Small Business Trends, the Huffington Post, and Lifehack.