I recently was at the receiving end of a question that embarrassed me.
“Janice, have you ever considered making your images more Pinterest friendly?”
Guest author Alice Jackson explains how to spruce up your graphics for Pinterest, Instagram, linky parties, reader engagement, and empowerment of visual learners.
You know the last reason you need a dynamite graphic to accompany your blog post: 64% of your readers are visual learners.
That means most of your readers will learn your information from your image.
Here’s how to make both images and infographics so you can be a better blogger by empowering your readers.
by Alice Jackson
Even after you are posting extraordinary content on your website, you are not attracting a significant amount of traffic to your site.
The problem might be the lack of visual elements in your posts. Now, you might not have appropriate graphic design skill to make quality images and as a result, you have to resort to the use of stock or free images.
But worry not, in this blog we would talk about tools that would help you to create an awesome image, even if you have zero design knowledge. Most of these tools are free, while some have few extra features that would be chargeable. Let’s take a look at a few of the tools one can use for the design process-
Free Graphic Design Software
- Canva – One of the most talked about graphic design tools and one would know why when they use Canva. The ease of use, customization and personalization options all add up to make this tool certainly the number one choice for non-designers as well as designers. Some of the best features of Canva are-
A. Their huge collection of templates, images, icons, etc. which can be easily used to create stunning graphics.
B. Neatly sorted out design files for social media posts, blogging, ads, etc.
C. The drag and drop feature can make anyone instantly fall in love with this tool.
D. One can select from thousands of templates, add elements and text, change the background and even upload one’s own image.
Canva even has a tutorial, in case you are finding it difficult to use their platform. While one can access thousands of images, templates, etc. for free, there are certain premium ones for which Canva charges $1. Canva also launched a subscription-based service under Canva for work, the pricing for which is $9.95/month.
- Pablo – Pablo is the product developed by Buffer. This tool is made with the purpose of helping people to create images for their social media accounts. The tool is absolutely free and this is how one can use it-
A. One can choose from more than 600k+ images available on the platform. Or else you can upload your own image.
B. Select the social media platform on which you would be posting the image. This would help the platform to make the image of the size as per that platform guidelines.
C. You can then select the filter that you want to apply and select the position of the text from available options.
D. One also has the option to upload their own logo.
E. You can then either share the image directly on the social media platform or else download it to use as per your convenience.
All we can say is that once you use Pablo, you would feel how easy it is to make images for your next social media post and that too for free.
- PhotoScape X – This is one tool that offers a huge number of functions in its free package. Available for both Mac and Windows, this powerful software is much more than an image editing tool. Let’s look at some of the amazing features of this tool-
A. There are a number of color, effects and filter option available for the user. You can also use the film effect to give your pic an extra touch of liveliness.
B. One of the best features is the ease with which one can make a collage using this tool. Also, the available edit option is an icing on the cake.
C. Use stickers to create funny pics. While using brush one can easily give a professional touch to the pic.
For bloggers, we would recommend that this free graphic design software is more than enough to create pics that catch their audience attention.
- Piktochart – Infographics have been known to catch user’s attention. But, the problem with non-design background was- how to create a stunning infographic? Well, Piktochart can be the answer to your problem! The tool can help anyone to create visually impressive infographic without the need to learn the nitty-gritty of the design process. Now, not only can Piktochart help you to create infographic but you can also create presentations and printables. This is how one can create infographics on Piktochart-
A. Select from hundreds of templates available on the platform.
B. From the graphics section, one can add shapes, icons, animated icons (premium feature), line, photo and photo frame.
C. You then have the option to upload your own image and change background.
D. Next, you can add text, text frame from the toolbar. Also one can select the color scheme in which one wants to see their infographic.
E. Also, one can see in the tools section an option to add charts, maps, and videos.
F. Once done you can download the infographic in .PNG format.
While you can design an attractive infographic on the free version itself, in case you need more customization then you can always opt for premium features.
- Recite– There would be times when you would not have anything significant to share with your social media audience. At that time, you would want to engage them without putting in much effort. This is where Recite would be a savior for you. Using this tool one can easily create quotes which can go as ‘Monday Motivation’, ‘Wednesday Wanderlust’, etc. All one has to do is enter the text, select from several templates available and then hit the create button. You would be given the option to either upload the file directly to social media, download it or email it. The best of all is that this tool is completely free. [Host blogger’s comments: These are examples of graphics you can design with Recite.]
The 5 tools stated above have varied applications and would come in handy for bloggers to create and edit images. We are sure that there would be other tools which can be used by beginners and if you know any, then do comment about it below. Also, do not forget to share this article and help others looking for free graphic design software.
Readers, please share so other bloggers discover this user-friendly time-saving graphic design software.