Do you know the advantages and disadvantages of Twitter?
Twitter is a mainstream social media site.
When Google+ folded, I conducted research to see which social media sites were still growing.
Twitter definitely fits the bill. Today, the site boasts more than 330 million active users (Source).
Alongside LinkedIn, Twitter is a powerful site for professional networking. Due in large part to its 280-character count limit, Twitter is a social media site for people on the go, people in a hurry.
In addition to being a hub for professionals from all spheres, Twitter enables bloggers and other webmasters to promote their site content.
Twitter Chats help people on Twitter find each other while Twitter lists give you a way to organize all the like-minded people you come in contact with and want to keep organized.
So, what’s the problem?
What are the reasons not to use Twitter?
Twitter’s reputation is apparently so tarnished, I see questions like this routinely on Quora, the question and answer site:
If there are so many advantages to Twitter, why are there disadvantages?
I asked 33 Twitter users to answer the question, “What are the advantages and disadvantages of Twitter?”
I asked them to share at least one advantage and one disadvantage or a combination.
Knowing they could only pick one each, by the time you’re done reading this post, you’ll know the strongest advantages and disadvantages of Twitter.
Then, you can draw your own conclusions about whether you want to use this mainstream social media site, and, if so, for what purpose.
This post is a guide to the pros and cons of Twitter as shared by social media experts.
Are you ready to discover the advantages and disadvantages of Twitter?
What is Twitter?
Before asking the advantages and disadvantages of Twitter, we should know the answer to the question, “What is Twitter?”
Twitter is a platform of microblogging and social networking established in the year 2006 by Jack Dorsey, Evan Williams, Biz Stone, and Noah Glass in San Francisco, California, United States.
This social network’s users can post and interact with each other. These interactions are called “tweets.” Therefore, other registered users can like, post, and retweet, or reshare, the content. One of the advantages of Twitter is by following certain effective strategies, you are able to get instant Twitter followers.
One of the most popular social media platforms is Twitter. It is a microblogging system. Its main purpose is to connect people with big audiences.
One of the ways of connecting on Twitter is through the use of hashtags and tags.
Here is more information about hashtags and tags on Twitter.
Twitter’s revenue amounted to over 807.6 million U.S. dollars from the 1st quarter of 2020. (SOURCE).
Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
I asked Twitter users, “What are the advantages and disadvantages of Twitter?”
Here are their responses:
Advantages of Twitter:
1. “The best reason to me for utilizing Twitter is that it is really easy to find like-minded communities and benchmark your competition. I often interact with other bloggers on the platform, and it is the best social media platform for quick conversations.
2. I also am able to see what everyone is posting on their blogs without searching because they come up in my feed whereas most platforms you have to search because they don’t automatically show everything the users you are following have posted.
3. Because of the short nature of tweets, it is one of the easiest social media platforms to get started on and build a following.
4. You don’t have to think about writing a novel, creating a video, or taking great pictures. You just have to worry about quick sentences and linking to posts your followers would enjoy.
5. Also, again the organic reach is there because hashtags can allow you to reach a larger audience.”
Ryan Moore www.balancedbudgetbalancedliving.com
Advantages and disadvantages of Twitter:
6. “Twitter is an extremely effective platform for driving traffic to newly published content. Especially if that content is written with a strong point of view.
Twitter loves (or hates) a strongly held opinion. You’ll draw attention either way. And if you want to amplify that traffic, you can put paid promotion behind that tweet in order to reach multitudes more like-minded people.
7. The one main disadvantage of Twitter is that you have to maintain a consistent presence on the platform. It’s a constant firehose of information and your tweets can get lost in the deluge.
Unless you’re willing to be on there engaging in conversations and maintaining a steady stream of interesting and informative posts, you probably won’t find a receptive audience on there.”
Jason Thibault, Massive Kontent – https://massivekontent.com/
Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter:
“I do have a Twitter account and I use it to announce live recommendations for traders.
8. From my experience, Twitter is better than other social media platforms for this particular niche because it’s very easy to follow the newsfeed and the text is short and summarized.
9. From time to time, I directly promote my blog article in my Twitter feed. When the copy is on the point and the most important hashtags are included, I get a solid amount of clicks to my site.
10. But what I’ve noticed is the quality of this kind of Twitter traffic, after all, is bad. Twitter users don’t interact with my content a lot and the optin rate is miserable.
11. I’m not a social media fan in general. The reason is you have to pump out tons of content again and again. Therefore I don’t recommend Twitter if your goal is to constantly generate a lot of quality traffic to your blogging website.
From my perspective, Twitter should only be used as a channel to provide additional content to your audience like live trading signals, surveys, fun stuff, or proverbs.”
Ingmar FolkCompany: CoinFlip Trading ConsultFounderWebsite: https://coin-flip-trading.com/
Image Credit: Photo by Yucel Moran on Unsplash
“What an interesting question!
Even if Twitter is not the number one social media platform for your business, Twitter offers benefits as a secondary social media marketing tool.
Here are two Twitter advantages for marketers.
Two Advantages to Twitter for Marketers:
13. If you want to know what the world, or your town, is talking about, head on over to Twitter. Checking the trending topics lets you take the pulse of the community.
14. To group your news in a more manageable feed format, set up a list of profiles with the news you want to watch. Then, check out the list for updates you can reply to, share, or retweet to save time and focus efforts.
15. I love Twitter’s tweet-by-tweet analytics! It’s easy to see, at a glance, which tweets got the most reach and interaction. Twitter also shows you your followers’ demographic analytics to find out income, education, and interest.
How does your Twitter profile match up to your followers on other platforms? It’s interesting to see how followers compare.”
Name: Barbara Rozgonyi
Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
Advantage of Twitter:
16. Twitter hashtags are a great way to see what is trending amongst your customer segments, and thus provides a great way to develop your content strategy.
A disadvantage of Twitter:
17. The character limits of tweets mean that as a user, you have to be very brief and at the same time interesting enough to generate audience interest. This can be a tough task and hence sometimes Twitter marketing leads to low returns.
Saurabh Jindal https://talktravelapp.com Talk Travel
Twitter is (too) heavily regulated.
18. “As an expert in the Social Media industry with over 12 years of expertise, I can say that Twitter is too heavily regulated. Their compliance requirements for both vendors and individuals are becoming a burden; with CCPA and GDPR more and more users opt-out to use Reddit, TikTok, Instagram Stories as their main outlet so they avoid being censored and /or penalized.”
RILA GLOBAL CONSULTING LLC http://www.tsvetta.com/
I would like to share my thoughts on the Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter:
“I would recommend Bloggers and Marketers to use Twitter:
19. The platform enables us to connect with anyone. Let it be readers or influencers, we can quickly follow and start tweeting them. It is one of the fastest ways of interacting with new people.
Hashtags: By using hashtags, we can find like-minded people in the same industry and interact with them. Not to forget these hashtags can help us find content that got published recently even before it gets indexed in Google.
Although I recommend Twitter for so many benefits, I have always been worried about the hate speech and false news that spreads so easily on Twitter.”
20. Twitter is the No.1 platform to stay up to date with trends in real-time.
This is Nirmal Kumar here, a blogger at OnlineRockersHub, who helps people in starting a blog. I blog about SEO, Social Media Marketing, and WordPress tips on my website. In my free time, I connect with my readers on social media to understand their pain points in blogging.
“Here are my thoughts:
21. “One disadvantage of Twitter, like most of the main social platforms, is that it can be a very reactive medium– meaning that you should be actively conscious of what you post.
There are a lot of members of the media such as journalists and active bloggers on Twitter, which can attribute to your posts having a lot of weight.
Should they contain incorrect/misleading information or potentially problematic content, it can gather a lot of attention– particularly of the negative kind.
22. On the other hand, the plethora of access to these media personnel can also be an advantage. When used correctly, Twitter can be a gateway to a treasure trove of PR opportunities. By targeting the right trends and interacting with the right people, Twitter can help your company garner the visibility it needs by helping you develop important business relationships. “
My name is Shawn Pillar and I am the Marketing Director of Juicer, a top social media aggregator tool. We use Twitter not only as a way of keeping up with our customers but also as a relationship-building tool for strategic partnerships and interactions.
CEO on Twitter
“I believe, like any tool, whether or not Twitter is right for your business depends a great deal on your goals, your audience, and your company personality or culture.
25. Twitter can be very effective if your audience is there to be reached. Otherwise, you’re shouting at a disinterested crowd. Twitter users tend to be snarkier, more intelligent, and better informed in many ways than Facebook or Instagram users.
26. Twitter can be very effective if you know how to use it. Twitter chats can be very effective at raising both awareness of your brand and engaging with your followers.
My tip: Study Twitter before you decide to use it. Look for your audience. Learn how to use the platform. Learn its culture and habits. Then, if you have an audience to be reached, you can do so effectively.
Social Media Expert Discusses the Pros and Cons of Twitter Marketing
Six easy tips to improve your business’s presence on the site:
27. “Like with any social media platform, marketing through Twitter does not have a one-size-fits-all strategy that will guarantee your success.
Before bringing Twitter into your social media marketing strategy, consider whether or not your business has an evolving message to get out, if you want to have an active, fast-paced discourse with customers, or if your target audience is active on Twitter.
If the answer to these questions is yes, Twitter could be a great place to expand your outreach.
28. I would not recommend using Twitter marketing if most of your audience isn’t on Twitter, your field isn’t on Twitter, or if you don’t have a community presence there.
Six tips for effective Twitter marketing:
29. When planning content, stay on top of holidays and upcoming events. Many of them have common and recurring hashtags, like #MayThe4th
30. Let daily trending topics influence off-the-cuff posting. If you are a local business, use local trends rather than national.
31. Have a standard hashtag that customers can use to get your attention. (And follow it!)
33. Do Twitter-exclusive giveaways of your product, like ColourPop does.
34. Search and engage with people talking about your business, even if they aren’t tagging you. People post on Twitter to be seen and they want to feel special!
35. Be casual and have fun – Twitter isn’t as formal a space as other networks. It’s a good site to be transparent and impactful with your tone and messaging.”
Name: Meara McNitt
Social Media Strategist
Company: Online Optimism
Summary: Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
“Twitter is a wonderful social network and one that works for almost any niche.
However, it’s not perfect, and here are my two pros and cons:
36. Connecting with big influences
Twitter is an incredibly open platform.
By using Twitter, you can reach the big shots from your industry very quickly, as they’re just a tweet away.
This is a super feature to get on the radar of those that otherwise might have never noticed you in today’s noisy world and shrinking attention spans.
37. Takes little time and effort
Tweets are by nature extremely short (280 characters maximum) so writing them is a breeze.
Also, retweeting other people’s stuff and responding to replies is even easier and makes social media engagement fun.
Take it from me who used to hate social media as I saw it as a waste of time;
38. Short shelf life
The average shelf life of a single tweet is about 16m, and often much shorter than that. This means your tweet will only be visible for a few minutes before it disappears forever. So you will never get long term traffic from any tweet you post.
39. Can be highly addictive
As soon as you build a decent “follow list” on Twitter, you’ll find your home feed overflowing with great content. This is great content that you can’t look at because you have a business to build.
So you will need to learn to be more disciplined or Twitter can quickly become more trouble than it’s worth.”
Company- Nikola Roza- SEO for the Poor and Determined
Position- CEO and owner
Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
40. “I think that using Twitter can be pointless if you’re a business owner, at least for me. It’s great for marketers, but I don’t think there’s much that I can do there as a business owner and company CEO.
41. The first reason is that there are so many fake accounts and bots that I don’t even know whose followers are real anymore. I don’t know if someone has real followers or thousands of bots – it’s just numbers.
42. The second reason is that it’s pointless for B2B audiences. It’s just a bunch of marketers spamming each other. All the real decision-makers are on LinkedIn and not wasting time on Twitter.”
Related: If you are not familiar with Twitter, here is information on how to use the LinkedIn homepage.
Full name – Adam Hempenstall
Title and company – CEO and Founder of Better Proposals
Website – https://betterproposals.io/
Advantages of Twitter:
43. “Join relevant Twitter Chats. For business accounts, this is a great way for companies to position themselves as thought leaders within their industries and network with (as well as follow) other like-minded Twitter users.
44. Twitter is also an excellent platform for identifying trending hashtags. You don’t necessarily have to use them in your tweets (and ideally should not if they are not relevant to what you’re doing). However, you may be able to learn from the trending hashtag what’s new or developing in and out of your industry.”
Deborah Sweeney, CEO of MyCorporation.com
Advantages of Twitter (From the CEO of an Affiliate Marketing Company)
“As an affiliate marketing company, Twitter offers several advantages:
45. Twitter allows you to follow and keep track of what other B2B companies are doing and possibly borrow some strategies.
46. Perfect for sharing your content to a broad audience, especially if you get the hashtag right.”
Reuben YonatanFounder and CEO of GetVoIP
Twitter vs Instagram
Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
“As a freelance writer and the editor of the cleaning website Oh So Spotless, I’ve used Twitter for over four years now.
47. Like every social media platform, Twitter does not serve all businesses.
But as a writer, I can attest to the fact that writers, editors, and all who work with the written word will benefit from a Twitter account. If you run a personal website, then you may also need an active Twitter account.
These are what I would consider the advantages and disadvantages of Twitter:
48. I think it’s so much easier to find your tribe on Twitter than many other platforms. A quick keyword search can lead you to other freelance writers, for example.
49. They tend to retweet others in their network (retweeting is unique to Twitter and exposes you to what your audience engages with) which will lead you to even more like-minded people.
50. Twitter lets you link to posts in your tweets (!!!), something Instagram still doesn’t allow. It even shows your audience a snippet of your posts so they can decide whether or not it’s up their alley.
51. Twitter demands a distinct voice — more than any other social media platform. With Instagram, you might easily bamboozle your audience with videos or images, but with Twitter, you need a firm grasp of writing voice. This can be challenging for those who aren’t particularly strong writers.”
Editor at Oh So Spotless
More Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
Keeping a close eye on your competitors and industry leaders
52. “The first advantage of Twitter is that you can follow the industry leaders and authority voices. By keeping a close eye on their tweets, you can keep up with the industry news and trends as they arise and use them for your brand.
53. Another important factor of using Twitter is keeping up with your competitors. And the best thing about it is that they don’t need to know you’re following their activities. By adding your competitors to your Twitter list, you can keep tabs on your competitors without them knowing what you’re up to.”
This is Kasia from NapoleonCat, a platform for social media management and analysis, https://napoleoncat.com/
Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
54. “There is a large audience on Twitter to spread your message. This user count continues to grow, which is great for marketers as this means they can reach a very large targeted audience.
Related: Twitter growth stats can be found here.
55. It’s an opportunity to connect with your customers. Many businesses use this as a customer service platform. This direct communication positions your brand as open and transparent, which helps build long-term customer relationships.
56. Platform limits also have their drawbacks. With the 140 character limitation, it will be challenging to provide valuable content vs other platforms. With that in mind, it’s best to direct users to external links and drive traffic to said valuable content.
57. More users can also drown out your voice. With more users creating content on Twitter and the number of tweets posted daily, your tweets may not even be seen.
Just like any platform, it’s best to see if Twitter is effective for your business model and industry.”
Ruggero Loda, Founder – Running Shoes Guruhttps://www.runningshoesguru.com/
So many respondents mentioned the Twitter character count in this interview, I took to Instagram.
I asked Instagrammers what they thought of the character limitation. As you can see, most people agreed with the respondents and were torn over the length of the character limits.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
58. “Twitter is the best social media, which is fast and takes a few seconds to load and open, which makes it addictive to the users.
59. Secondly, it is a great platform to market your product as it reaches the wide range of audience and people instantaneously sees and gives their response to not miss it.
60. Twitter deals in low Mbs files. So, most of the time, it’s tough to run the same video ads that you’re running on Facebook. Moreover, for Twitter, you have to craft every picture so wisely that it fits the size of the screen, which is also too problematic most of the time.
Name: M. Ammar Shahid
Designation: Digital Marketing Executive
Website URL: http://www.superherocorp.com/blog/how-to-look-like-a-marvel-supervillain-8-costume-ideas/
Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
61. “Reach – One benefit of Twitter is its reach. With an account and the know-how of how to grow it, your Twitter post can reach a large number of people in a short amount of time.
62. Scheduling – Another advantage of Twitter is its ease of scheduling. You can plan your Tweets in advance without having to worry about remembering to post. You can even plan up to a year ahead of time!”
My name is Stephanie Lane and I am a social media marketer and lifestyle coach, http://safespacehub.com/
Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
Twitter is a micro-blogging web application and has gained extreme popularity for diverse types of businesses over this time. It is a broad social media platform and welcomes all types of users from individuals to the largest MNCs.
According to the latest research by Statista, it has been found that Twitter reunites approximately 340 million monthly active users.
In today’s digital era, social media marketing is considered to be a key element for marketing your brands.
64. Twitter is a medium where people connect and interact in both a personal and professional way. Many companies are using Twitter to sell their services or products. As every tweet you do is just confined to 280 characters, marketers have to win their clients or customers by 280 characters.
Following are Twitter marketing tips which are useful for your business:
65. Consistency in your tweets to build trust
Once you create a Twitter account for your business and gain some followers, it is very essential that you should be consistent. Your followers believe that you have something to say and share regularly.
Breaking their trust, you will lose your followers. Make sure you don’t discontinue the frequency of your tweets. This can be done either by hiring social media manager or using some tools which are available in the market to schedule your tweets well in advance.
66. Post some engaging and creative tweets
There can be multiple ways to win your clients, and your job is to find out that through distinct experiments. As the post can be of only 280 characters, it is upon you to work smartly and wisely with your Twitter handle.
For instance, organize some contests, quizzes, awards, giveaways, tweet-a-thon, or share some amazing facts, etc. which would engage and grow your followers. Bring it in an all-new and creative form to share the same thing.
67. Final thoughts: Twitter is the best social media platform to find the right nerve and hit directly over there. Your customers who lie across the globe will get to know your organization and organization ethics in the most entertaining and techie way possible.”
Ayushi Sharma, Business Consultant, iFour Technolab Pvt Ltd, https://www.ifourtechnolab.com/custom-software-development
Twitter Review: Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
“Let’s talk about the advantages of Twitter and for whom it is useful.
68. Twitter is a very simple social network because it allows you to be aware of everything that interests you, such as communities, celebrities, or just people who are not famous but who you know. This is a very important advantage of Twitter.
69. The fact that everything has to be written in 140 characters makes the social network simple and practical for human thinking.
70. If you have written a tweet and one of your followers like what they see, this can be retweeted so this tweet is also seen by all the followers of your followers.
71. It is possible to combine your Twitter account with your Facebook account so that what you post on Twitter is also done on the other social network. This is a great advantage to not waste so much time publishing on both social networks.
72. Twitter is used by celebrities of all niches: Every film, glamour industry, business tycoon, and even the common person uses a Twitter account; Twitter is the most frequently used social network service where we share our opinions, discuss, share feelings in a short way due to limited text.
Disadvantages of Twitter and for whom it’s not in use:
73. With Twitter, you have to summarize everything that is happening to you in 140 characters. This can generate problems by having to abbreviate everything that happens.
74. There is a lot of spam on the network and this is not so controlled. This also makes the network too fast in terms of the number of Tweets and sometimes the trust of the network is lost.
75. It is very common to see insults from people towards companies.
76. Another big disadvantage of Twitter is that having false profiles, any person can create a famous account and many people begin to follow when in reality this profile is not of this celebrity but a random person.
77. Twitter is a big advantage for us only when you spread positivity; by this, you get more fame from your followers.
78. The disadvantage is since if you spread negativity, it will be your big loss. Your followers will roast you until you apologize.
Bottom line: Twitter is good as well as bad, it’s you how you use it. So make sure you have good reasons for doing what you do.
Arjun Shipurkar, Founder and director of BloggersBulletin
Reach a large audience, but the time…
79. “The biggest advantage of using Twitter is that you have the potential to reach a very large audience with one lucky or well-timed Tweet. For example, we recently shared a blog post on Twitter that was popular with our target community, and the post now has 28,000+ views in the last week.
80. A disadvantage of Twitter is that it can be a real time suck. Building up a community, engagement, and the like can take months or even years before you start to see a meaningful impact on your business.
Pros and Cons of Twitter [With Stats]
“In a fast-paced digital world, one can get what they’re looking for in an instant with all the social media platforms.
Now, let me share with you the advantages and disadvantages of Twitter. I’ve used it, myself, to reach my followers.
81. Wide range of audiences. By using hashtags, potential customers can find your product and services right away.
82. It can provide customer service too. Twitter offers two-way communication; hence, any inquiries can be answered right away.
83. Character limitations. While in some platforms you can write long posts, on Twitter you have up to 280 character limit.
84. Negative feedback can be seen publicly. If your clients are having issues with your services or your products, they can easily complain publicly. This is something that is unpleasant to see for some.
I am Shari Smith, the founder of Shari-sells. I’ve been selling on eBay for over 14 years and I’ve been sharing my insights on topics such as eBay, eCommerce, social media marketing, digital marketing, and much more. It’s afforded me amazing opportunities like speaking on stage at events like eBay Open.
Shari Smith, Founder @ Shari – Sells Website: https://shari-sells.com/
Two Marketing Advantages of Twitter [stats included]
85. “If you want to know what’s the hottest news or what’s trending in the world real-time, then Twitter is the best place to be.
86. Although it’s only ranked as the 5th most used social media site in the world, it’s the perfect platform to flex your unique and trendsetting business ideas.
87. I have used Twitter as a marketing tool a handful of times, especially since its 145 million users can all be possible buyers of your product and with an estimated 0.3% increase in population per year, Twitter is definitely a great marketing platform (Source).
But despite the fact that Twitter is often branded as the political and idealistic social media platform, here are 2 great marketing advantages any businessman or entrepreneur can derive:
Generate brand feedback
88. Since Twitter is a site where users are able to openly share their feelings or thoughts, it’s a great avenue to generate honest feedback or input for your brand’s products and services.
The comments wouldn’t all be pleasant but most of it will give you a good picture of what the public thinks.
An endless pool of product ideas
You can clearly see what’s in and what’s not on Twitter, as users voice out their preferences and stand on various topics.
89. This makes the site a great source of possible marketing ideas that can be made into a product or service that would definitely sell to the public.”
Editor & Content Ambassador at Romantific
Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
90. “Twitter marketing has proved to be successful for many businesses, brands, affiliate marketers, and influencers. You can build awareness for your brand, increase your reach, find and follow target audience.
91. It’s a kind of micro-blogging platform in which you can announce news of your business or industry and keep in touch with prospects and current followers.
Benefits of Twitter for business:
92. Reach a wide audience: Twitter has a large user base, which could include your potential customers. Using hashtags can help you reach an audience interested in a particular topic or in a particular location.
Challenges of Twitter for business:
93. Resources: Maintaining a presence on Twitter requires a time commitment.
94. It’s also important that the staff looking after the account have the right skills and training.
Related reading: Advantages and disadvantages of social media for business
CEO of Netbooknews
How you can leverage Twitter:
95. Since Twitter has more than 140 million active users daily, leveraging Twitter can generate traffic for your business’s website. The reach and traffic you can achieve by using Twitter will highly benefit your business. Make sure to also add your website URL to your Twitter profile.
96. Furthermore, maintain a consistent Twitter presence and regularly post high-quality content. Your tweets (content) should have the ability to redirect users to your website.
Brand awareness and visibility
97. Additionally, actively using Twitter for your business can increase brand awareness and visibility.
98. With active engagement and efficient content strategies, Twitter can be an excellent opportunity to reach millions of users, which can then turn into customers.
99. You can engage with Twitter users via posts and retweets, and you can also initiate hashtags to drive interaction.
100. Another technique would be getting the attention of influencers as they can boost your online presence and brand awareness by retweeting or mentioning you on their pages.
Karl ArmstrongFounder, EpicWin AppEpicWinApp.com
101. “Advantage: While some social media platforms limit your ability to post and interact with the community, Twitter allows near-constant posting. For marketers who really want to hustle and interact with their audience all day, there is no better platform.
102. Disadvantage: Users give out follows a lot more freely on Twitter than on other platforms which makes the metric less indicative of user engagement than on other platforms. This means you need to gauge your brand’s success on Twitter in other ways.
I’m Jeff from the Spell Bound blog, https://spellbound.pw/
Response to Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
Absolutely I recommend Twitter.
103. First, on a high level, Twitter has the best data in the world for how people think.
For instance, if you’re a marketer, you can study consumer psychology left and right. Then you can use this data to improve the conversions of your product or services. Simply scrolling through your read gives you a unique lens into what makes people tick.
Now say you’re a plumber. Knowing the culture and relevant topics will help you build rapport on sales calls and house visits. This will lead to a better connection with people, more callbacks, and more referrals.
People drive the economy, and Twitter is a lens into what drives people.
104. Secondly, you can follow people on Twitter who are the best in the world at what you do and get unique information into what their process is, how they think, what they read, and what inspires them. This unique access to the daily activities of experts is another brilliant advantage of Twitter.
105. Remember, you’re getting all of this for free.
Name: Brian RobbenWebsite: Robben MediaWebsite URL: https://robbenmedia.com/
Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
106. “Twitter is a great way to showcase your brand on a social profile, regardless of the organic reach each tweet gets, because people researching you and your company will often start by looking at all your social profiles.
107. Even though Twitter’s organic reach has been declining, it is still a great place to post recent articles you wrote or were featured in and make sure you have a solid bio and bio link filled out so those visiting your profile will be able to get a feel for what you do.
1 pro and 1 con of using Twitter for marketing
108. “Pro: Twitter is Amazing for Networking
It doesn’t matter if you blog, run an online business, or provide business owners with a service; Twitter is amazing for networking with people in your industry. Twitter makes it easy to follow and interact with leaders in your space.
109. Furthermore, the openness of the platform also makes it easy for you to chime in on Tweets to share your insights with other people in your industry.
You can also Tweet directly at people to really get their attention and to create a conversation, which isn’t the case with many other social media platforms.
110. Con: Twitter Isn’t Great for Driving Traffic
While Twitter is a stellar networking tool, it falls short in terms of driving social traffic for most marketers and bloggers.
Platforms like Pinterest, Quora, or Reddit have a longer shelf life for a lot of different content. If you drop a link on Reddit or answer a Quora question, it might very well rank on Google somewhere and drive you consistent traffic for months to come.
In contrast, Twitter moves quickly. if you don’t have an established following, it’s easy for your tweets to get lost in a sea of noise and to not produce results.
Ultimately, this is why I think Twitter is best used as a networking and research tool rather than a way to drive free traffic to your business or blog.
Name: Tom BlakeWebsite: This Online WorldURL: https://thisonlineworld.com/
111. “As an online marketer, Twitter can be very beneficial when it comes to networking with experts in your industry.
For example, I use Twitter exclusively for reaching out to journalists who need expert responses for their latest content. This can be done easily too, simply by sending them the information either by DM or email.
112. On the other hand, Twitter is like many other social media platforms where it becomes very easy to lose focus. You have to have a purpose when you’re using social media, otherwise, you can find yourself wasting too much time. That’s why I don’t post on social media, as it’s solely for networking purposes.”
James Canzanella Owner of Isolated Marketing Nights
113. Twitter is standing up to Donald Trump.
First, when the 2020 political season began, Twitter announced it would not take any political advertising money.
The Trump campaign gave a great deal of political money to Twitter during the 2016 campaign and was fuming at Twitter’s decision not to accept the ads in 2020.
In contrast, check out this Mostly Blogging article about Facebook’s decision to continue to take political ad money.
Reasons not to use Twitter
114. Twitter’s decision to fact-check Donald Trump is also leading to bad blood between Twitter and the U.S. president. Donald Trump accused Twitter of violating his free speech.
115. Also, Twitter has technical glitches.
My reader, knowing I’m knowledgeable about social media, contacted me to explain her friend had her Twitter account shut down for being under age. Her friend was, in fact, way over 13 years old, and Twitter should not have shut down her account.
Update May 2021
When it comes to reasons not to use Twitter, in contrast to other forms of marketing, Twitter is fleeting. Tweets only last a number of seconds. In contrast, if you practice SCO marketing strategies, you can get visibility in Google’s Search Engine Results Pages for years.
Update October 2020:
Twitter is down and has been down for hours. Apparently, Twitter crashed although no hackings were connected with the glitch.
Twitter blames the glitch on problems with its internal system.
Millions of people were affected. They reported their homepage feeds went blank.
Bonus Tips: More advantages and disadvantages of Twitter
“Twitter is a ‘microblogging’ system that allows you to send and receive short posts called tweets. Tweets can be up to 140 characters long and can include links to relevant websites and resources, follow people and organizations with similar academic and personal interests to you.
Over the years, Twitter has become increasingly popular with policymakers, politicians, and the general public. The snappy nature of tweets means that Twitter is widely used by smartphone users who don’t want to read long content items on-screen.
Twitter is useful for the following reasons:
You can easily use this platform for marketing, for example by providing links to your blog stories, journal articles, and news items.
You can reach large audiences quickly through tweets and retweets.
You can find people in your niche and follow their work and build rapport with them.
Keep yourself up-to-date with the latest news and developments.
Reach new audiences.
Advantages of Twitter
Twitter’s reach is beyond Web browsers. This gives you an opportunity to reach new audiences across multiple platforms. You can specifically reach people who use Twitter on their phones but not on their computers, or on their tablets but not their phones.
It is also possible to combine your Twitter account with your Facebook account so that what you post on Twitter is also done on the other social network. This is a great advantage to not waste time publishing on both social networks.
65.8% of US companies with 100+ employees use Twitter for marketing.
77% of Twitter users feel more positive about a brand when their Tweet has been replied to” (Source).
Ahmed Ali https://www.syedirfanajmal.com/
Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Twitter
“Advantage – Free Referral Traffic
Depending on the industry, many brands pay upwards of $10 per click to their site through PPC platforms like Google Ads. This means that every new user you can drive to your site from Twitter could be worth up to $10 depending on your industry.
Since Twitter is totally free to use, even for brands, this represents a tremendous opportunity to rapidly increase the traffic to your site with only manual effort and no cost at all.
Disadvantage – Exposes Your Brand to Negative Press
Many Twitter users are sarcastic and cynical and don’t take well to brand messaging.
It’s quite common to see many users mocking a brand under its post. This is negative press and leads to lower perceived brand value.
My business had a prominent Twitter user retweet one of our posts and add a completely inaccurate assertion about our business. I was able to explain why he was wrong in the comments, and he eventually agreed, but it’s this sort of risk that brands expose themselves to when signing up for Twitter.”
Calloway Cook https://illuminatelabs.org/
Updates: Recent Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
Twitter announced it is getting rid of Spaces.
Also, subsequent to the publication of this post, I discovered an easy way to grow your Twitter following using Twiends, a free Twitter growth service.
Twitter has new innovations such as Twitter Fleets (Stories) and Twitter Spaces (live rooms).
Social media users like live links. When people click, they generate traffic and possibly sales.
You can’t put a live link in Fleets. However, when people click, they are taken to your tweet where you do have a live link.
Have you heard of the new Clubhouse App? Clubhouse enables you to have conversations in real-time. Currently, Clubhouse is by invitation only.
One of the advantages of Twitter Spaces is you don’t need an invitation to use it. Recently, I received a notice at the top of my screen on my Twitter app that someone I follow is starting a Twitter Space. If you want to join the space, click when you see the notification.
January 8, two days after the insurrection at the U.S. Capital that left people dead, Twitter permanently banned Donald Trump from using Twitter. Twitter’s reason: Trump used the social media platform to glorify violence.
When Donald Trump and others complained that his free speech was violated, people responded by saying Twitter is a privately owned platform, and therefore, Trump’s ban is not a free speech issue.
November 2020 Update 1
Twitter rolled out Fleets. Fleets is Twitter’s version of Instagram Stories. Like Instagram Stories, Twitter’s Fleets disappear after 24 hours.
You’ll find Fleets sitting at the top of your Twitter app. This enables you to start a Fleet and see other Twitter users’ Fleets.
Now, the following social media sites have Stories: Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube.
November 2020 Update 2
According to Twitter Support, Twitter verification is back in 2021. Due to COVID, Twitter wanted to make absolutely sure who authorities were before giving the coveted verification badge once again.
Let me give you some stats: According to Lumen5, the video creation site, 82% of Twitter users report watching video on Twitter. This reinforces the notion that Twitter is not just a place to read tweets anymore but a place to consume video content as well.
Disadvantages of Twitter
“I’m not a fan of Twitter. Things are way too fast-paced here – which means you need to invest a lot of time to be active, post new things, engage in conversations… the time it takes to be successful here can be invested elsewhere at a much higher ROI.
Also, the limitation of characters leads people to post very short headlines or teasers only, which can be quite misleading. As many people only scan the headlines and don’t click on additional links to get the full story, they get a wrong idea of what is actually meant by the Tweet. It helps to spread misinformation.”
Chris Kaiser https://clickatree.com/
Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter: Frequently Asked Questions
What are the advantages of Twitter?
The short character limitations save you time it would take to read longer tweets. Also, Twitter is a great place to find like-minded people through the use of hashtags.
What are the negatives of Twitter?
Like all social media sites, Twitter can be a time drain. Also, there are other social media sites that are considered more effective for marketing. Last, there is a lot of hate expressed on Twitter which can make it a toxic environment. Social media and free speech especially in relation to Twitter is currently under scrutiny.
What is the main purpose of Twitter?
Twitter is a mainstream social media site known for its brevity. Therefore, Twitter is the ideal social media site for busy people.
Wrapping Up: Advantages and Disadvantages of Twitter
This post offered the strongest advantages and disadvantages of Twitter, so you can decide whether Twitter marketing is for you.
Did you notice any commonalities in the responses?
How many times did respondents mention marketing, hashtags, networking, networking with influencers, B2B (Business to Business) networking, and news trends?
Trends: Mentioned 7 times.
Hashtags: Mentioned 12 times.
The character count: Mentioned 12 times.
Network: Mentioned 26 times.
Marketing: Mentioned 33 times.
How many times was “traffic” mentioned as a disadvantage?
Traffic: Mentioned 15 times.
Noticeable difference: Many respondents labelled the Twitter character count as an advantage and others labelled it as a reason not to use Twitter.
Note: Many called the character count 140 characters long. Late in 2019, Twitter doubled the allowed character count to 280.
Readers, please share so other social media marketers discover the advantages and disadvantages of Twitter.
I look forward to your views in the comments section. Are there any additional advantages and disadvantages to Twitter so you suggest?
Janice Wald is the founder of MostlyBlogging.com and co-founder of the Mostly Blogging Academy. She is an ebook author, blogger, blogging coach, blogging judge, freelance writer, and speaker. She won the Best Internet Marketer Award and the Best Blogger Award at the 2021 Infinity Blog Awards. Wald was also nominated as 2019 Best Internet Marketer by the Infinity Blog Awards and in 2017 as the Most Informative Blogger by the London Bloggers Bash. She’s been featured on Small Business Trends, the Huffington Post, and Lifehack.